Wednesday 30 January 2013

Lost in the Depths

1/29 - 3 Deaths / 15 Push-ups

The first order of business was revenge on the R.O.U.S. (Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.) I was pleased to see that the butcher was permanently deceased, so getting to him was easy enough.

Recovered the souls and collected the Spider Shield. I spent three hours wandering through the Depths. Luckily I suppose, I found the enemies to be mostly weak and predictable. Despite expecting trouble, I still managed to walk right into a pit, landing me in front of the ugliest fellows I've seen yet.

Kermit?
In my paranoia, I overused fire bombs on them though it later dawned on me that their curse gas was avoidable with a simple back roll and they were slow to re-attack so aggression was rewarded. I don't understand the eyes of death or whatever that they drop. Answer in the comments, though I'll eventually look it up.

Slowly clearing out the area of these led me to my biggest scare of the game thus far:

They don't move, but they MOVE.
I haven't sworn out loud like that since the mannequins from the first Condemned. In retrospect, they share a lot of the same vibe... I decided that I would not be an aggressor so didn't attack a single one, though I saw a couple crumble when hit by the cursed frogs things. I don't know if they do anything other than creep me out.

After what felt like ages, I finally came across a merchant sitting in a corner. I sauntered up to him only to have a jelly blob drop onto my head. A blob draws near indeed! Man those things are annoying to fight without an abundance of fire bombs or arrows, but the Halberd and Black Sword were good bets with their long-range thrusting attacks.

I don't know why that wise man's armor is so expensive, but I couldn't afford it. Since I was afraid to lost my souls, I bought the crystal shield but haven't equipped it yet. Can it really not be repaired?

Here in the Depths, armor must have at least 13 pieces of flair.
More wandering, but it wasn't long until I found the large cavern. This looks like a great place for a boss fight. Oh look, there's the white mist door.

And... oh shit.

Cut off the tail and... the head still eats you.
I got the tail off on the first battle. Yet another weapon that I won't be able to wield for months. Lots of running around, I was having trouble locking on but you have to be really close. Soul arrows were useless, fire bombs were not much better, Magic Weapon not much help because I had to downgrade to Halberd or Zweihander (German for 'two handed', if my bad German serves me). I have fire and thunder infusions I can try next time, these three failures were enough to put me past bedtime.

I'll be strategizing in my dreams, you wretch. See you soon...


2 comments:

  1. Only 91 "You Died" and you made it this far?! I am bending my knee while I type this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fear of exercise makes one cautious... I may not die all that much, but I'm SLOW...

    ReplyDelete