Sunday 14 April 2013

Izalith Found. Sacrifice Lost.

4/13 - 2 Deaths / 10 Push-ups

Not a lot of dying today; it was a day of careful exploration.

I found a bonfire near the far edge of the Demon Ruins. It was defended at the time by a centipede bug, but they're not too bad with a good reach weapon.

You may remember me from such films as 'Tremors' and 'Tremors 2'.

Wandering down an epic stair-bridge from the bonfire is a fog gate and as I stepped towards it - oh what's this to the right?


Fog gate or long dusty chamber with item.... 

Well, the dusty room looks like a dead-end so I'll try that first.

Wandering through, killed some tiny bugs, got the sunlight maggot. Welcome to Lost Izalith!

Titanite demon on a narrow bridge? Damnit. I'm not good at these guys.

Having not kindled the last bonfire, I had very little estus left. I used what was left getting past the Titanite Demon (told you I was never particularly good at them). Luckily they're non-respawning.

Wandered around laying the smackdown on fire-breathing pots.

One time, every time.
All of a sudden, a floor falls away and I'm overlooking a pit of - HEY LOOK IT'S SIGMEYER!

What could be distressing him THIS time?

Ah, he's standing over a Sarlaac pit...

I didn't want to risk another fall-away of the floor so I filled 'em with holes from above before even talking to Siggy. He was grateful for the help and gave me a defense-buffing ring.

Some running around in aforementioned Sarlaac pit later and I found an awesome-sounding ember and some stairs to get the hell out of dodge, but not before I made a strange realization about my best anti-poison armour:

My most poison-resistant option is going BAREFOOT.  

There's a lot of attention to detail in this game, but that choice I do not understand.

Met a pyromancer, met my end while standing in a pool of his lava.

This pyromancer caught me off-guard, but what was REALLY shitty was when I realized I'd left 45K souls on the ground. No worries, at least all the Taurus Demons by the stairs and the Titanite Demon will all be dead still.

WRONG.

Dark Souls for ya. In one level Taurus Demon was downgraded from Boss to Non-Recurring Enemy to Normal Enemy.

The option to go human and kindle the bonfire was tempting, but the fear of an invasion on the way to recover my souls kept me from doing it. I decided to put on a Rare Ring of Sacrifice just in case I died on the way. As soon as I spend my souls or get somewhere safe I can take it off.

I tried running past the titanite demon (it'll be safer, I thought) and one stab in the back as I sprinted past in my Slumbering Dragoncrest ring took me to 5% health. Luckily, I got out of range and healed up. Getting back to the pyromancer was easy, and I beat him handily this time now that I was aware that the lava hung around under his attacks.

Another 25 minutes of wandering around and I'd only found paths into lava pits (certainly not capable of THAT feat at the moment) and a second fog door. Well shit. Homeward bone it is, let's go spend these souls.

Now I might as well check the closer fog gate since I'm here and soul-less.

Haven't I killed enough of your family?

ANOTHER ONE OF THESE FAT DEMONS? This must be the one that moved out of the house.

I did fairly well against him for a first try, only dying when I was in a corner and couldn't roll away from the butt-splash.

That's when I realized something AWFUL;

(Glitchiness is from the DSFix mod)

I wasted a Rare Ring of Sacrifice on 6,000 souls. 

Sigh. 

Exit game.

No comments:

Post a Comment